How to Use a Digital Camera as a Webcam
- Check the manual of your digital camera to see if it can be used as a webcam. Many digital cameras have this functionality and even come with webcam software. If your camera didn't come with webcam software, use a third party web cam.
- Plug your digital camera's power adapter into the camera. Some won't function as a webcam unless they are plugged into A/C power. Even if your digital camera functions as a webcam while on batteries, A/C power saves your batteries and prevents your camera from shutting off in the middle of a broadcast. In general, simply plugin the video cable your digital camera and insert the video in port on your computer’s S-Video port. If you don’t have existing video card, then you need to attach a video card on your system.
- On the other hand you can also use your digital camera on USB port with AV to USB converter cable. But the USB cable provided with Webcam will not work with your digital cam.
- Now if your digital camera comes with direct power A/C option with adapter then try to use it in lieu of battery. As it will prevent to cut off the live broadcast in middle.
- Now place your digital camera accordingly and place it within 2-3 feet from your face or the source.
- For audio transmission you can simply use a microphone.
- Now you will be able to broadcast streaming video from your digital camera with IM services like Yahoo Messenger, Windows Live Messenger etc